First Baptist Church, Union, MS
Monday, December 18, 2017
Encounter God...Engage Others

History

 
    
A History of

First Baptist Church...in Pictures

    
Our church was organized on July 5, 1885.  The first pastor was Rev. J. M. Moore. The fifteen charter members gave our first church the name “Union Regular Baptist Church.” The old Primitive Baptist Church building located on what is now North Decatur Street was purchased as a meeting place.  This building was removed in August of 1887 and a new building was erected at a cost of $110.
 In 1910 the Town of Union had begun moving closer to the railroad tracks, so the Baptist decided to move with it.  A new seventeen-room church was erected on Peachtree Street at a cost of $3,750.  By 1914 the church had purchased a parsonage and added a baptistery to the new church building.  The church membership had grown from the original fifteen charter members to 272.

On April 8, 1928 the church building was partially destroyed by fire and rather than repair the old church, the congregation decided to build a new church and pastorium.

 
 
 
First Baptist Church
1929-1972
This building served the congregation for forty three years. It contained a spacious sanctuary, basement-fellowship hall, classrooms, choir room, nursery, a small kitchen and third floor junior department. 
 The next building program was begun in 1951 when plans for an educational building were begun.  The building was not completed until several years later at a cost of $73,800.  
  The first part of a three phase building program was completed in 1970 when a new pastorium was erected on Woodhaven Drive.  The second building to be finished in this program was the new Educational and Fellowship building in 1972.  The third and final phase, the building of a new Sanctuary, was completed in August 1975. 

 

 Pastors of First Baptist Church
 
Rev. J. M. Moore
Rev. G. W. Breland
Rev. E. J. Hill
Rev. R. W. Bryant
Rev. H. C. Joyner
Rev. I. A. Halley
Rev. S.W. Rogers
Rev. G. O. Parker
Rev. M.A. Davis
Dr. L. B. Cobb
Dr. C. M. Savage
Rev. John Ira Hill
Rev. Dan Cameron
Rev. C.O. Lindsey
Rev. Curtis Burge
Rev. Ferrell Cork Jr.
Rev. Douglas White
Rev. Terrell Suggs
Dr. Marcus Finch
Rev. Jon Martin
1885-1902
1902-1908
1908-1912
1912-1914
1914-1915
1915-1919
1919-1921
1921-1935
1935-1939
1939-1942
1942-1944
1944-1951
1951-1954
1954-1962
1962-1965
1965-1972
1972-1980
1981-1999
1999-2009
2010-
 
 
 
Rev. James Milton Moore
First Pastor
   
 
  Dr. Marcus Finch
 
 
    Encounter God . . . Engage Others!